Saturday, June 28, 2008

A Letter to Me

I am not really a country fan, thus I can tell you I had never heard of Brad Paisley before.

This morning the radio kicked on with his song called "Letter to Me", where he contemplates having the chance to send his younger self a note about how well life works out.

The song is visual and for anyone who remembers the difficulties of being a teen. The words speak out with amazing mental pictures of those things that seemed so important, but fade into just being part of your history.

Paisley has the video posted on YouTube, but has disabled the ability for me to embed it in my blog, so you will have to CLICK HERE if you care to hear the song. It is worth the five minutes, as it will make you think about your own life and see your personal triumphs and people who shaped you along your path.

I love the concept of being able to write a letter to myself, and send it to me at seventeen. I wonder if I would have the foresight to listen to the 42 year old Thom Singer. I hope that I would, but I know that I was stubborn, cocky and a dreamer (not unlike now)... and I am not sure that even advice from my future could help me map out an easier way. I know that you have to stumble in your own time to reach your goals.

What would you tell yourself? I can think of lots of things, but Brad Paisley hits most of it right on the button. I like this part of the song:

"You’ve got so much up ahead
You’ll make new friends
You should see your kids and wife
And I’d end by saying have no fear
These are nowhere near the best years of your life"

OH, and buy stock in Microsoft and Dell!

Have a great day

thom

No comments: