Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Make A List And Get Things Done

What do you do when your schedule just gets too busy? Often successful business professionals end up with too many commitments on their plate and feel that their world is spinning out of control. I see it all the time. As I keep up with people in my professional network I often hear the desire for extra time in the day from those I speak.

Over the weekend I announced to my wife that I have no down-time. She rightfully pointed out that I do this to myself. Even on the weekends I am busy.

I am working hard, having success, but don't seem to have any free time to get caught up on minor projects or just sit on a bench and think. And yet, I would not change anything or cut back on any of the things that are important to me. I want to do it all. I feel that I can do it all. Nobody has successfully convinced me that I cannot at least try to win the game of life. Thus, I keep plugging along!!!

My solution: just plow through. I think of the cliche "When the going gets tough, the tough get going". I believe this is true. If you feel overwhelmed the best advice is to just take action and get your projects done.

At times like this it is great to make a list. My calendar often rules my day, but a "To Do List" that is specially designed to get me to the completion of "must-do" projects helps me get things done.

Plus, I look at the most successful people I know and they are even busier than I am. And you know what, they all have great networks of people who support and encourage them to succeed. Alas, I see a pattern!

At work I have quarterly goals. As we move into the last month of the quarter I can look at my list and see my progress. I am energized to see where I have hit schedule accomplishments and can focus on getting the others done over then next four weeks. Additionally I work with a great team of people who are all there to assist each other in o0ur efforts.

Sure, there are dozens of systems and books on getting things done, but nothing beats just taking action. My list is long, but today I will shorten it before the bell rings! (there is not actually a bell...that is a metaphore).

Have A Great Day

thom

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thom,

This was a well timed post. It's nice to know I'm not the only one. Seems like there are a lot of us in this space right now.

I'm a little bummed there's not a better solution, but I think you're right. You just have to find a way to get it all done.

I can't imagine life any other way... booooring!

Happy Networking!

-Scott