Sunday, September 07, 2008

Out of the Darkness Community Walk

Yesterday morning I attended the Out of the Darkness Community Walk, benefiting the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention. Friday marked the one year anniversary that a very close friend lost his son to suicide, and I participated to support my friend and his family in memory of their loss.

It was an emotional event. Hundreds of people walked around the Texas State Capital to help bring attention to the cause. A suicide happens every 16 minutes in the United States, and the ripple effect from these goes far beyond just the immediate family. Family, friends, co-workers, clients, neighbors and beyond are forever touched.

I wish that this had never happened to my friend, or the countless others who have to face such a tragedy. As I stood watching the balloons that were released into the sky disappear into the clouds, my soul was sad.

To find an "Out of the Darkness Community Walk" in your city, or to donate to this important cause, CLICK HERE.

thom

No comments: