Monday, May 09, 2011

The Thank You Economy

Gary Vaynerchuk's new book, "The Thank Your Economy" is a good read.

(Disclaimer:  I know Gary.  We have met several times at conferences, and I drove him around Austin when he spoke at an event here last fall.  We are not close friends, and when he buys the New York Jets someday I do not expect an invite to the owners box.)

The stuff he talks about in the book is important.  Most people I work with instinctively understand that all business is personal, and that people choose to do business with those they know, like and trust.... but we get so focused on ROI and systems that a personal conversation does not make the list of business strategies.

Brand managers and left-brained professionals are obsessed with numbers (and the numbers do matter).... but people matter too.   Make someone feel significant and they will come back.  Leave them feeling like a number and you suck.

I have been teaching my philosophy of "Cooperative Significance" for years.  What Gary says in his book is not rocket science.  But you are most likely NOT doing the things necessary to stand out in our noisy social-media world.  The small personal actions can make you a giant.

If you have ever seen Gary speak live you know he is a force of nature. His passion makes him one of the best public speakers out there (even though he can be known to use the "F-word" over 30 times in a 60 minute presentation!... I know, cuz I counted!!!).  But his message holds strong printed in a book.

If you are one of those folks who say "I don't read books".... then realize you lose by not reading this one.  Just suck it up and read the 234 pages.  (then go read one of my books!)


Have A Great Day.

No comments: