Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Always Be Learning and Growing

In his groundbreaking book "The Innovator's Dilemma" Clayton Christensen had a great line near the end of the book that has rattled around in my head for a long time:
"My business plan must be a plan for learning, not one for executing on a preconceived strategy...... I must plan to be wrong and learn what is right as fast as possible."
I work with "left brained professionals" (lawyers, bankers, accountants, IT, etc..) who want their marketing, branding, PR, advertising, social media and other visibility efforts to come with pre-planed ROI.  One executive once told me that her company does not invest in any marketing without a clear understanding of the long-term pay off.  This translates to "no risks". But success comes with risk, and being able to see what is working and what is not... and adjusting on the fly.

My business continues to grow and change.  Since I began my career the meetings business and speaking industry have seen major changes because of the economy and new technologies.  If I am not watching what is happening, and constantly trying to learn, I would miss the opportunities that come my way.  The success of "The Conference Catalyst" program, webinar offerings, and coaching/consulting are just a few examples of ways my business has morphed since it began.

While I have a focus, I also throw some spaghetti against the wall from time to time to see what sticks.  Companies that are unwilling to let some pasta hit the floor can brag about a clean wall.... but nothing on the wall means they have no innovation.  A company without innovation sucks.

Have A Great Day.

thom singer

No comments: